Initially, Goodall had difficulty studying the chimpanzees, as they would run away in fear upon seeing her. But eventually, after much persistence, Goodall was able to get close enough to the primates to observe their behavior.
In 1962, due to the strength of her work Goodall was accepted at Cambridge University as a PhD candidate, despite not holding a bachelor’s degree.
Over the next several decades, Goodall continued her work and became increasingly aware of, and distraught by, the destruction of the environment caused by human activity. As a result, Goodall began to realize that she would need to move her focus away from studying chimpanzees and towards doing work to preserve their habitats. In 1988, Goodall founded the Jane Goodall Institute UK, a charity with the goal of “empowering people to make a difference for all living things,” and in 1991, Goodall and 16 Tanzanian students founded Jane Goodall’s Roots & Shoots, an educational organization aimed at teaching young people about wildlife and the importance of protecting it.
Today, at the age of 85, Goodall shows no signs of slowing down. She travels an average of 300 days a year, giving talks at venues around the world about the importance of conservation. She serves as an inspiration to young people everywhere to follow their dreams wherever they take them and teaches the power of individuals to do good in the world.
Tyler Ohlhorst is a contributing editor at The National Digest based in New York. A graduate of Stony Brook University, he reports on science, technology, US politics, and stories from around the world. You can reach him at email@example.com.
- Scientists Uncover ‘Ghost Population’ in New Genome Research February 21, 2020
- Disruptive Real Estate? February 21, 2020
- 5 Unique Date Ideas To Spice Up Your Relationship February 20, 2020
- Spotify’s Big Investment In Podcasts February 20, 2020
- Kickstarter Workers Make Historic Vote To Unionize February 20, 2020
- T-Mobile Approved To Takeover Smaller Rival Sprint February 20, 2020
- 65% of Amercians Suffer From Lactose Intolerance February 20, 2020
- Over Two-Thirds of Migrants Have Experienced Extreme Violence February 20, 2020
- Fun Things To Do In Upstate New York February 19, 2020
- Neanderthals Buried Their Dead With Flowers, According To New Discovery February 19, 2020